NEDonBoard provides non-executive directors and board members with the answers to their burning questions and useful insights from the wider board member community. We have curated some of your most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about serving as a NED and board member and joining NEDonBoard to provide you with all the answers you need.
We trust that you will find many of the answers to your non-executive director FAQs below. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at [email protected]. Our knowledgeable team will be only too happy to answer your queries. NEDonBoard is here to offer our support and guidance whenever you need us.
What is NEDonBoard?
NEDonBoard is the Professional Body for non-executive directors and board members in the UK. Please refer to our About page for more information.
Who is NEDonBoard membership for?
NEDonBoard’s mission is to support the competence of boards and board members in realising today’s opportunities and meeting tomorrow’s challenges. We do this by equipping non-executive directors and other board members with principles, knowledge and skills that recognise commercial success is underpinned by strong corporate responsibility, accountability and sustainability. The majority of our members hold at least one board position.
Our membership and offering benefit non-executive directors, board members, business leaders and executives operating at or near board level and governance experts. Details of our membership can be found here
What is a Professional Body?
A professional body is an organisation seeking to further a particular profession, the interests of individuals engaged in that profession and the public interest.
NEDonBoard is the professional body for non-executive directors and board members in the UK. The UK government website lists organisations that are approved as professional bodies. The list can be found here.
What are the benefits of joining a Professional Body?
NEDonBoard is the professional body for non-executive directors and board members in the UK. The UK government website lists organisations that are approved as professional bodies. In addition, members of NEDonBoard can reclaim tax paid on their membership subject to their membership being required by their role or helpful for their work. For example, you might get back up to £180 on your Event membership. Details can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Why should I join NEDonBoard?
- Be part of a growing community of non-executive directors and board members.
- Join a membership organisation, approved as a professional body and institute and dedicated to board professionals. Delivering high value, relevant and contemporary content, products and services to our members are our priority.
- Hear from the most prominent figures from businesses, consultancies, governments and associations. We organise panel and networking events monthly to share with our audience of non-executive directors and board members best practices and get insights from experts on a wide range of topics that are relevant to the boardroom.
- Advance your professional development through our high-quality courses (delivered by independent and experienced professionals and non-executive directors), best practices guides, webinars and our blog.
- Develop your competencies and skills as a non-executive director and a board member.
- Share your experiences, achievements and challenges in a safe environment.
- Access our jobs board. Our jobs board lists businesses and organisations in search of non-executive directors and is updated throughout the week.
- Be visible to businesses, organisations and head hunters that are in search of non-executive directors. Members utilise our blog as a platform to advertise their expertise.
- Connect with boardroom experts.
- Develop your network to support your portfolio career. Your next opportunity may well materialise through relationships created at one of our events or courses.
Do I need to become a member to engage with NEDonBoard?
You do not need to be a member to engage with NEDonBoard. We are a membership organisation dedicated to the non-executive director and board member community. The benefits of membership are numerous but non-members can engage with us at our events and courses.
Organisations looking for NEDs can upload their non-executive director job roles to the NEDonBoard jobs board for free here.
There are numerous organisations that aim at addressing the needs of non-executive directors. Which organisation should I join?
NEDonBoard is a professional body. Our operations and services to our community reflect our mission statement. We place our members at the core of our operations. Our members are experienced professionals with typically at least one board role and years of experience operating at board level.
There are numerous organisations dedicated to board development, which quality varies widely. NEDonBoard has received numerous complaints about a Manchester-based organisation. We strongly recommend that you perform your due diligence when considering enrolling into a board training or joining a NED organisation and select an institution aligned with your values and objectives. Our accreditations as a professional body and institute reflect the quality of our products and services.
How long does it take to become a non-executive director?
The short answer is that it varies. It can be anything from a few months to a few years. Being appointed on a board entails high responsibilities and your success in securing a role will reflect:
- your experience and expertise;
- Your personal brand and profile and your ability to clearly communicate these;
- Your connection with professionals operating at board levels, such as board-level search firms, investment funds, chairs and non-executive directors;
- Access to current roles;
- Your understanding of the non-executive role;
- Your knowledge of corporate and business governance.
I am a member and I would like to update my NEDonBoard profile. How do I do that?
We encourage you to maintain your NEDonBoard profile. You can access it in the member’s area of the website in the Profile section. You can update your NEDonBoard NED profile here.
Please note that if you need support or would like to tailor your CV, NEDonBoard offers a CV review for any new member or any subscriber to the NED Accelerator® Programme. Please email [email protected] for further details.
I'm new to NEDonBoard and can't log in. Why is that?
It can take 24-48 hours to approve and process membership. After which time you should have access to log in to your member’s area.
I've lost my password. How do I log in?
You can easily reset your password here.
How do I post or share a NED role to the NEDonBoard jobs board?
How do I partner with or sponsor a NEDonBoard event?
NEDonBoard works with a group of organisations to shape the non-executive and board landscape and improve how organisations, whether public or private, are run. Our partners access decision-makers at board level and organisations that are looking for non-executive directors.
Contact us at [email protected]
How can I share my experience as a non-executive director and board member with other members of the network?
If you are an experienced non-executive director or chair, NEDonBoard offers you the platform to give back to the board community. You can do this by engaging in our Board Best Practice initiatives or by becoming a NEDonBoard Ambassador. You can also share your insights at upcoming NEDonBoard courses, events or expert interviews.
Please contact us at [email protected]. We will be more than happy to assist you, as we strive to serve our community of non-executive directors and board members.
How can I increase my visibility to attract non-executive opportunities?
NEDonBoard provides the platform for you to advance your portfolio career. We can help you to increase your visibility, attract new opportunities, and gain an edge in the process of non-executive appointment.
This is made possible through our Ambassador Programme, our blog, our Board Best Practice initiatives, our expert interviews and events.
For any other queries, please contact us at [email protected].