Role description: Board member
The Board is crucial to the successful running of the organisation. The Board, in partnership with the senior executive team, ensures that the organisation operates effectively, setting its strategic vision and delivering its Business Plan. The Board is responsible for upholding and demonstrating excellence in governance, and ensuring that the organisation works within the parameters laid down by its Articles of Association and all regulatory requirements.
Leadership, governance and strategy
1. To review and approve the strategic Business Plan, Annual Plans and Budgets.
2. To contribute to the effective leadership and governance of the organisation.
3. To contribute to ensuring that the affairs of Evolve Housing + Support are carried out effectively and in compliance with its Articles of Association, the Charities Act, the Companies Act and all regulatory bodies.
4. To contribute to ensuring that effective internal controls are in place and to ensure compliance with internal financial regulations, standing orders and delegated authorities.
5. To attend Board meetings, including Away Days or similar, and contribute effectively in accordance with guidelines set by the Chair.
6. To maintain confidentiality and be aware of any possible conflicts of interest, declaring same in advance.
7. To prepare for meetings in advance to enable a full contribution and appropriate decision making.
8. To carry out specific functions as delegated by the Chair, including attending sub committees on a regular or ad hoc basis.
9. To attend an annual appraisal meeting with the Chair.
Internal relationship management
10. In conjunction with the Remuneration Committee, to help determine executive remuneration and deal appropriately with succession planning and recruitment.
11. To assist with hearing any appeals as required under HR, complaints and other internal procedures.
External relationship management
12. To represent and promote Evolve Housing + Support in the wider community, acting as an ambassador for the organisation.
13. To network and promote the work, achievements and future plans of the organisation.
14. To be an excellent role model exhibiting good governance practices and behaviours.
Person specification for Board Member
1. Able to contribute effectively to the work of the Board, providing appropriate strategic oversight and scrutiny of the organisation’s work.
2. Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to liaise effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and audiences.
3. Strategic thinking, able to analyse complex information, demonstrate clear analytical intellect and guide rational decision making.
4. Ability to proactively support the values of Evolve Housing + Support.
Knowledge and experience:
5. Governance experience or knowledge of good governance practice.
6. A strong track record in a relevant sector, with empathy for our core customer group.
7. Business acumen: offering a commercial focus will be an advantage.
Skills and abilities:
8. Skilled at working together to generate a strong team spirit, able to work collaboratively, achieving consensus in decision making.
9. Able to assess risk and promote risk awareness without being risk averse.
Personal behaviour and style:
10. Actively role models the professional conduct expected of a Board Member.
11. Strong commitment to equality and diversity; social justice and inclusion.
12. Passionate about service improvements; strongly champions the right of customers to have influence and access to excellent services.
13. Enabling and supportive management style that motivates the executive and other staff and Board colleagues to deliver the best.
14. Has the time and commitment to effectively discharge the responsibilities of the role: based in London or the South East; and able to attend all meetings as required.
About Evolve Housing + Support
EVOLVE HOUSING + SUPPORT: NEW BOARD MEMBERS
Evolve Housing + Support is the 3rd largest provider of accommodation for homeless people in London. Currently providing supported housing services for 550 homeless people in Croydon, Lambeth, Bromley and Kensington and Chelsea, over the last 7 years we’ve transformed most of our properties through a £29m redevelopment programme, which was completed in March 2015. We also provide counselling, mentoring and other community based services - work we hope to expand in coming years.
In September 2015 we launched our new name and brand and now look to the future with renewed confidence and ambition. Preparation of our new 3 year Business Plan has commenced ahead of its launch this spring. Despite challenging economic and political times we have a clear vision of a self sustaining future and plan to deliver this through an enhanced fundraising strategy backed up by a brand new development strategy.
We are now looking for new Board and Audit Committee Members who share our vision and passion for serving customers and making a lasting difference to lives and communities. We are looking to strengthen our highly skilled Board with the addition of the following skills:
• Finance, governance and commercial
• Customer view
• Supported housing
For an informal discussion please contact Karen Cooper, Chair of the Board or Jeremy Gray, Chief Executive, on 020 7101 9960 or by email: email@example.com
The application pack, including further information on the organisation and how to apply, is available on our website:
Closing date: Wednesday 3 February, 5pm; interviews will be held on 18-19 February.