England Handball is the national governing body for the sport in England. It is at an exciting time in its continued development with strong participation growth, a growing junior and senior league structure with over 130 teams and increased activity across the education sector.
A new strategy for the sport is in place and has been supported by an increased funding award through Sport England of £1.415 million over a 4-year period to March 2021 to focus on delivering opportunities for its core market. England Handball is also seeking to diversify and increase its commercial revenue streams and raise the profile of the sport. A recently restructured Senior Management Team is in place led by a full time CEO.
There now exists an exciting opportunity to become part of the organisation as Chair to lead the Board and ensure England Handball delivers its new strategy.
Applications are sought from within the England Handball membership, as well as from external candidates, where individuals feel that they have the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to be able to meet the requirements and person specification for the role.
In line with its policy on Equality & Diversity, the EHA is keen to encourage applications from women and members of black and minority ethnic groups as well as people with a disability.
For an informal discussion about the current activities of England Handball, please call David Meli, CEO, on 07908 203232 who will also be happy to arrange contact with the Vice Chair to discuss any board or governance related queries.
Purpose of the Role
To lead the Board of England Handball, ensuring that the highest standards of probity and governance apply in relation to the conduct both of the Board and of the operations and activities of the organisation, and that England Handball’s business is conducted in accordance with its purpose, as set out in its constitutional documents, and associated strategy, values and policies, and with all legal and regulatory requirements.
- Lead the oversight of the vision, strategy, values and policies of England Handball, in collaboration with the CEO and Board members;
- Guide the Board in fulfilling its responsibilities concerning statutory and regulatory compliance, contractual and commercial obligations, the good governance of England Handball, its financial stability, the most appropriate use of funds and appropriate risk management;
- Run the Board and, in conjunction with the Chief Executive, set its agenda;
- Lead in identifying and meeting the induction and development needs of individual directors, with the Chief Executive having a key role in facilitating provision. It is the responsibility of the Chair to address the skills and development needs of the Board as a whole with a view to enhancing its overall effectiveness as a team;
- Ensure that the performance of individual Directors and of the Board as a whole and its committees is evaluated from time to time;
- Facilitate change and address any areas of conflict within the Board and within the organisation, liaising with the Chief Executive to achieve this;
- Together with the Board, ensure effective communications with all major stakeholders including the membership and wider handball community;Represent and champion England Handball by being its advocate and ambassador;
- Be the guardian of the reputation and rules of England Handball and endeavour to ensure it is regarded as a respected governing body;
- Provide guidance and support to the Chief Executive Officer in the performance of their duties.
- Chair meetings of the Board and set the agenda, style and tone of Board discussions to promote effective decision-making and constructive debate. The agenda should be strategically focused and take account of the issues and the concerns of all Board members. Encourage active engagement by all the members of the Board;
- With the CEO, ensure effective implementation of Board decisions;
- Provide effective leadership of the organisation, including representing the organisation and understanding the views of the Membership;
- Promote effective relationships and open communication, both inside and outside the boardroom, between directors, staff and stakeholders;
- Build an effective, skilled and complementary Board, evaluating performance, initiating change and planning succession in Board appointments;
- Promote the highest standards of corporate governance and seek compliance wherever possible;
- Maintain an awareness of the organisations performance in all areas and take action if required;
- Establish a close relationship of trust with the Chief Executive, providing support and advice while respecting executive responsibility, and carry out regular performance reviews;
- Ensure the organisation pursues its objects as defined in the Memorandum of Association; and Safeguards the good name and values of the organisation;
- Act as a signatory for England Handball where appropriate;
- Aim to attend appropriate events, for example Sport England review meetings, Chair’s events, award ceremonies and consultation events; and
- Assist with specific tasks for the benefit of England Handball.
- Expected to be around 1-2 days a month, 6 Board meetings a year. The location of the Board meetings is often in Loughborough. The head office is in Warrington.
- Term of office is 4 years.
How to Apply:
To download a copy of the role description, person specification and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form, please visit www.englandhandball.com/about-us/jobs-in-handball
Please send a CV and covering letter outlining how you feel you meet the person specification for the position, together with a completed Equal Opportunities Monitoring form to: firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by Friday 23rd June.