As the national governing body for group exercise, EMD UK (Exercise Move Dance UK) is seeking an independent Chair to lead its board. This exciting, non-executive position will oversee the strategic direction and growth of one of the countries most popular governing bodies. Group exercise has few barriers to participation and, therefore, creates vast opportunities for individuals to fulfil their physical activity, health and well-being goals. As a result, group exercise has the potential to be the nation’s number one sporting / physical activity – can you help EMD UK take the steps to get it there?
About EMD UK
Group exercise is consistently ranked as one of the country’s most popular sports / activities and whilst it has a strong appeal to male and females there is a higher percentage of women taking part. EMD UK is the principal organisation governing group exercise with a responsibility to promote its benefits, support the teachers and organisations working in the sector and to fulfil the Sport England criteria around maintaining participation. Unlike most governing bodies of sport which only cover one activity, EMD UK has a wide scope in its remit and covers a broad variety of styles to suit each demographic segment. At one end of the spectrum, and thanks to Strictly Come Dancing, there is the cultural phenomenon of dance fitness which leads into activities such as Spinning and BodyPump and out to Yoga and Pilates at the other end of the spectrum. Established in 2006, EMD UK is endorsed and funded by a variety of partners with a major investment of £2 million from Sport England over the 2013-17 period. Due to its strong governance and the recognition of the good work that has been achieved to date, Sport England have extended their funding through to 2019 and are showing increasing interest in EMD UK as a way of keeping the nation active. EMD UK, however don’t want to rely solely on funding and are developing their own revenue generating opportunities to help underpin the great work that they do and see a strong, vibrant board as part of this drive.
Through its work, EMD UK are becoming the expert authority and thought-leaders in the sector. Their mission is ‘To increase participation in group exercise by supporting teachers and organisations to deliver excellence”. They do this by providing:
o Membership – individual and organisational
o Insight and research
o Training and development through our Academy
o Participation initiatives with our campaign linking to national activity drivers such as Sport England’s This Girl Can and BBC’s Strictly Come Dancing’s ‘Keep Dancing’.
o Promoting the benefits of group exercise through media partners
Although EMD UK is the national governing body, its governance is as a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee. The EMD UK board is comprised of directors who abide by the Nolan principles whilst offering a mix of skills and experience that help the organisation meet its strategic aims.
The Board meets four times each year, normally on a Thursday or Friday, in London from 11.00 am until 4.00 pm. Meetings are usually held at the offices of the Sport and Recreational Alliance offices in Victoria, London.
The Chair can serve up to two four-year terms. It is anticipated that the time commitment is up to one day per month after the induction period. This includes attendance at up to four Board meetings a year.
Expenses will be paid in accordance with EMD UKs expense policy.
The duties of the Chair include:
· providing leadership for the board in their role of setting the strategy and policy of the organisation
· planning the annual cycle of board meetings and set the agendas
· chairing and facilitating the board meetings
· giving directions to board policy making
· ensuring decisions taken at board meetings are implemented
· representing the organisation at appropriate events, meetings or functions
· open doors to opportunities within and outside of the fitness and sport sector
· acting as a spokesperson for the organisation where appropriate
· responsibilities associated with being a board director
where staff are employed:
- Liaising with chief executive to keep an overview of the organisation’s affairs and to provide support as appropriate
- Reviewing and appraising the performance of the chief executive
- Sitting on appointment panels as required
- Acting as final stage adjudicator for disciplinary and grievance procedures if required
- Attending and being a member of other committees or working groups when appropriate in role as Chair
· Strong leadership ability
· Chairing meetings
· A high level of objectivity and independent judgement
· A high level of integrity and probity
· Ability to think and act strategically
· An understanding of financial management
· An ability to work in partnership
· A commitment to equity and equal opportunities
· Ability to communicate concisely and effectively
· An enthusiasm for group exercise
Skills and Experience:
EMD UK is seeking a Chair with experience in one or more of the following areas:
· Sector influence
· Lobbying experience
· Fundraising / Sponsorship
· HR / Organisation Development
· Marketing / Insight
Please submit a CV and letter of application to email@example.com
For an informal discussion on the post of EMD UK director, please contact Innes Milne (Chair) on 07785 114143 or Ross Perriam (Chief Executive) on 01403 266000.
EMD UK is committed to achieving gender parity and even greater diversity on its Board in order to lead by example when providing equitable guidance and governance to its member organisations.