Bowls England, the National Governing Body for the Sport of Outdoor Flat Green Bowls, is seeking to recruit a Non‐Executive Independent Director to join its present Board of Directors for appointment in early 2018.
Bowls England currently has more than 108,000 individual members in its clubs across 35 counties in England. Individuals, Clubs and County Associations are supported by a staff team of nine from our headquarters in Royal Leamington Spa.
As the appointment is for an Independent Director, candidates must not have been employed by Bowls England, been a Director of Bowls England, or involved with any national‐level Committee or Working Party of Bowls England in the seven years prior to their application. Candidates must also not have been a professional advisor to Bowls England, a supplier of services or equipment to Bowls England and preferably should not have been actively involved in an official capacity in any County Association affiliated to Bowls England, over the same period.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the development of Bowls in England at a key time in the history of the sport.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable working at a strategic level alongside a mix of staff and volunteers, and should ideally have experience in one or more of the following areas:
– marketing, public relations and media relations ‐ particularly digital and/or social media
– fundraising, sponsorship and commercial income generation
– human resources
– disability sport
As a member of the Board, a Director is required to:
– Be involved in the establishment of the organisation’s vision, values and standards and to ensure that its obligations to the Membership are understood and met
– Be involved in the establishment of the organisation’s strategic aims, ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the organisation to meet its objectives
– Review management performance
– Provide leadership for the organisation within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be properly assessed and managed
– Observe all Bowls England Policies including:
o Financial Management
o Health & Safety
An element of the role of the Director is to understand the views of the Membership, both directly and through the Chair and the Chief Executive.
No prior experience of the sport of bowls is required, although knowledge or experience of the sporting sector and/or corporate governance would be an advantage. They should be independent in judgment and have an enquiring mind. Directors need to build recognition by the staff of their contribution in order to promote openness and trust.
The Independent Director has the following responsibilities:
– Independent oversight of the work of the Board and Staff
– Provide a check and balance on the actions and decisions of Board and Management
– Facilitator of the newly established Audit & Review Committee
Bowls England currently hold four Board meetings per year in Royal Leamington Spa, and Board Members are also expected to attend a number of other key events during the year.
All Directors of Bowls England are unpaid although all reasonable out‐of‐pocket expenses will be refunded in line with our expenses policy.
The successful candidate will serve until the Annual General Meeting in February 2021 and the appointment is potentially renewable.
Bowls England is committed to ensuring diversity in our sport and welcomes applications for all its activities from individuals regardless of ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender, social background, age or disability.
For an informal discussion regarding the position please contact Tony Allcock MBE on 01926 334609 or e‐mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply candidates should send the following:
– Letter of application highlighting relevant experience, skills for the post and motivation for applying
– Curriculum vitae
Please reply by email to: email@example.com
All applications must be received by 9am on Monday 19th March 2018.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interviews, which will take place in Royal Leamington Spa.
About Bowls England
Bowls England is the National Governing Body (NGB) for the sport of Flat Green Lawn Bowls in England. It was formed as a company limited by guarantee on 1st January 2008 following a unification of the English Bowling Association (EBA) and English Women's Bowling Association (EWBA).