We are looking for exceptional candidates to join the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) as a Non-Executive Board Member (NEBM) with knowledge, skills or experience in business management including ‘digital processing’ in a public or private sector environment.
Additionally, it would be expected that applicants for the role of NEBM could demonstrate: experience of management or governance at a senior level; experience of working effectively in partnership with multiple stakeholders; and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
As a NEBM you will contribute to and participate in the effective running of the agency board. Using your external knowledge and expertise you will provide constructive and effective challenge in board discussions and to inform decision making.
• Knowledge, skills or experience in business management including ‘digital processing’ in a public or private sector environment;
• Exceptional communication skills, high level of personal impact and the ability to provide constructive and independent challenge and support to the Board;
• Independence of judgment, the capacity to bring a fresh, external view to decision-making, and an outstanding track record of board level career achievement;
• Broad business management experience at board level in a major delivery organisation in the private, public or third sector, and of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders including the ability to respond to and reconcile the differing needs of those stakeholders;
• Ability to analyse complex information, reach practical decisions and to think strategically.
• Sound knowledge and experience of good governance at senior levels in a large organisation in either private or public sector, and/or an understanding of working with government and of the justice sector.
We expect members to:
• Uphold the highest ethical standards of integrity and honesty, and demonstrate that they have an understanding of, and are committed to, the value and importance of the Seven Principles of Public Life.
• Use personal and professional skills, experience and judgement with integrity and independence to scrutinise the short and long term performance of the agency.
Reference Number: OPGNEBM2017
How to Apply
To apply, please send:
A copy of your CV.
A supporting letter of no more than two sides, that evidences how you meet all the criteria. Please provide examples of where your knowledge and experience matches the essential criteria required for the role. Your supporting letter should provide specific and detailed examples to demonstrate how you meet the criteria (including what you did to achieve a specific result).
Please ensure you include preferred daytime, evening and mobile telephone numbers, as well as a preferred e-mail address, which will be used with discretion.
You should also complete the separate supporting documents (attached below), which include the equal opportunities monitoring form and the political activity declaration form, conflicts of interest, public appointments currently held and the names, and contact details of two referees, who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for interview.
Applications should be sent to: OPGExecSupportteam@publicguardian.gsi.gov.uk
The closing date for applications is: noon 11 July
Late applications will not be considered unless there are exceptional circumstances