England Korfball is a membership organisation and as such is membership owned. The Board represent the interests of the members and this is reflected in the membership of the Board. The Board therefore is skills based to meet the needs of the membership. The EK Board is made up of up to ten people with a range of elected and appointed officers who will be able to provide the skills and expertise to meet the needs of the sport. EK are seeking to fill up to four positions
The board members fill a variety of roles. Independent directors, will possess specific skills that the organisation needs now as well as offering an objective, independent view. It is essential that the independent members bring a strategic, objective and balance view to the role whilst recognising the interests of the members.
The Board oversees a set of technical committees and working groups that are formed to pursue and deliver EK strategic operating plan. Board members, particularly Independent Directors are encouraged to join and actively lead at least one committee.
Board members can serve up to two consecutive three-year terms. It is anticipated that the time commitment is one to two days per month after the induction period.
The duties of a Member are:
• To contribute actively to the role of the Board in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
• To ensure that EK complies with its rules and constitution and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
• To safeguard the good name and values of EK. To ensure the effective and efficient administration of EK. To ensure the financial stability of EK.
• In addition to the above, each member should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives or on other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
The key competencies required:
• High level of Integrity/Probity
• Ability to challenge in an appropriate manner
• Ability to think and act strategically
• Ability to demonstrate Leadership
• Demonstrate reliability
• Awareness and importance of Collective Responsibility
• Ability to work in Partnership
• Demonstrable commitment to Ethics within the sport
• Demonstrable commitment to Equal Opportunities and Equity
• Ability to communicate concisely and effectively.
• Awareness of fiduciary responsibility
• Enthusiasm for Korfball
Skills and experience required:
As a growing sports development business with a need to generate increased commercial income. EK is seeking Directors with experience in one or more of the following:
• Commercial sales and income generation
• Knowledge of the sport
• Marketing and sponsorship seeking
• Media and public relations
• Legal and Human Resources
• Further/ Higher Education
• Club Development
• Coach education and development
• Risk Management
• Equality and diversity
• Membership development
• Strategic planning
• Lobbying and campaigning
• Not for profit organisations
• Finance planning and reporting
About England Korfball
England Korfball’s vision for the sport is to “Inspire thousands of new and existing participants to enjoy and grow Korfball on their doorstep.” Our key areas of work are growing the number of adults and young people playing regularly in teams and improving the sporting experience for those people who participate in Korfball.