We are looking for up to three Non-Executive Directors to join our Board of Directors.
We are seeking committed, passionate individuals to help shape and oversee strategy and delivery, ensuring our effectiveness as an organisation and our leading role in the open movement. You will provide independent advice, expertise, have the ability to effectively challenge and support Open Knowledge’s ambitions and provide robust governance.
You will participate actively in the steering and guidance of a successful non-profit organisation and devote the time to make a genuine contribution. You will join a committed and experienced team keen to foster and promote our mission and achieve our goals.
We are particularly interested in people with expertise in the following areas – Knowledge and experience of the Open movement, Research, Advocacy, Media relations, Fundraising, Commercial, and Finance.
Ideal experience for this position:
- Board level experience or experience providing strategic leadership within a commercial business or charity or experience as an advocate of the Open movement, from grassroots to government
- Experience of strategic planning and risk management
- Experience with growing SME or non-profits
- Affinity/understanding of open source, open data, and the open paradigm either as an advocate or as an end user
- Knowledge of software products and/ or IT consultancy
- Excellent financial skills
- Experience of governance within a non- profit organisation
- Willingness to champion the cause, including with potential funders
- Have an international focus
- Ability to think outside of the box
- Strategic vision, independent judgement
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
UK based preferred but candidates based within timezone UTC -1 and +4 will also be considered
- To work with the Chair and the OKI Leadership team to set the overall direction and strategic plan for OKI and the development of OKI’s programme of work
- Participation in board-level decisions according to responsibility assignment matrix
- To oversee the financial running of OKI and to ensure that OKI’ s financial accounts are maintained and audited in line with legal requirements
- To ensure the proper conduct of OKI’s business
- Represent OKI’s interests and act as an ‘ambassador’ in external settings
- Roughly 4 to 5 hours per month excluding travel which includes attendance at bi-monthly meetings
- Willing to travel to meetings every other month, most likely in London, usually in the evening and running for approximately 2-3 hours
- The Board is expected to read and respond to direct emails in a timely manner
- Appointment will initially be for 2 years
Please note: This is a voluntary, unpaid role.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply, please do so via our website- https://okfn.org/about/jobs/ Include your CV and a cover note highlighting why you are interested in the role and outlining your suitability for the role.
Click here for Job applicant privacy notice
About Open Knowledge International
Open Knowledge International is a global non-profit organisation focused on realising open data’s value to society by helping civil society groups access and use data to take action on social problems.
The wide range of projects we work on all aim to give people access to data, the knowledge to understand it, and the power to use it in our everyday lives.