- This event has passed.
11.10.2022 Online: Identify and manage potential conflicts of interest
October 11, 2022 @ 8:30 am - 9:30 amFree
As a board member, it is vital you identify, understand, manage and monitor potential conflicts of interest.
This includes on a personal level in your board contributions, to maintain your integrity, as well as in understanding wider board and stakeholder dynamics and engagement.
We welcome the board community to join us at this online event to discuss example scenarios and how they can best be managed.
This is an opportunity to learn from experts and your board peers.
Agenda (timings BST):
- 08:30 – Welcome
- 08:35 – Conflicts of interest, an overview by James Whitaker, Partner at Mayer Brown, including:
- What is a conflict of interest for directors (how is it defined in law)?
- When can conflicts arise? Examples.
- Practical tips for ensuring conflicts do not arise and/or managing them if they do.
- The role of NEDs in identifying, minimising and managing actual or potential conflicts of interest.
- 09:30 – Optional group discussion and networking
- 10:00 – Close
Sharing practical board member considerations, we be welcoming input from Sally Mayer, a Chartered Company Secretary with over 20 years’ experience supporting all kinds of organisations including listed plc’s, private companies, charities and partnerships. Sally’s experience includes UK and overseas entities in the financial services and manufacturing sectors, including joint ventures. She has also been involved in a number of large corporate transactions including Rights Issues and M&A. Sally is particularly experienced in the design and implementation of corporate governance structures and operating frameworks, corporate transactions, and in the implementation of legislative / regulatory requirements in complex structures. She is currently Head of Corporate Secretarial and Governance Services at Baillie Gifford, and complementing her Company Secretary role, Sally has also been an Independent Non-Executive Director / Trustee of a Scottish National Charity for 9 years, and has been the Chair for the last 3 years.
As well as a legal perspective from James Whitaker, Partner at Mayer Brown, this event will also include examples from the NED community.
Can I participate if I am not a NEDonBoard member? This event is open to NEDonBoard members (free to attend, registration required) and non-members (an attendance fee applies, registration required). Members are prioritised for this event. If you would like to know more about NEDonBoard please visit: https://www.nedonboard.com/become-a-member/ or email: [email protected]
- Please ensure to select the relevant ticket option and complete the registration form.
- Dial-in details will be distributed the day before the event.
This event is co-hosted and sponsored by global law firm Mayer Brown.