10 questions for you to consider if you want to become a non-executive director
1. What do I have to offer?
2. How will I find the right board? (Be patient: it can take time)
3. How much due diligence should I do? (It should be rigorous. Talk to experts, read the minutes, etc.)
4. Do I have the time? (Ask for meeting dates and read the job specification carefully)
5. Can I contribute? (Work out where you can deliver unique and differentiated value)
6. Will I learn? (Be intellectually curious and open-minded)
7. Will it be fun?
8. What is the time commitment? (One of the pitfalls is underestimating the time required)
9. Is my employer fully supportive? (Tell your chief executive or manager how your NED role will benefit the company.)
10. Should I expect a board induction? (You should expect to go through an induction process)
Want to know more? Watch our acclaimed webinar, How to Secure your First Non-Executive Director Role? Registration link here.
Written by NEDonBoard and edited by Elise Perraud in October 2021.